I was recently asked to paint and donate a pumpkin to Meadowbrook School in Northbrook to auction off at their upcoming “Pumpkinfest” celebration. I have had a ball coming up with ideas…now the hard part will be deciding which one to donate, which ones to sell and which ones to keep!! I thought I would share some of my ideas with you along with a “how-to” for my Aged Copper Pumpkins.
HOW TO CREATE YOUR OWN AGED COPPER PUMPKIN:
You will need:
-craft foam pumpkin
-spray primer (I use Bin 123) in white
-Copper Schabin or decorative foil
–Wunda Size or Faux Effects Aqua Size
-Modern Masters metallic paints in copper, brass, and “reactive” bronze
-Modern Masters reactive paint activator in Blue, Green, and Black
-Modern Masters Permacoat Sealer
1) First prime your pumpkin
2) Apply 2 coats of black paint mixed with a little Brass metallic with a chip brush
3) When dry, coat with a single layer of size. Let size get tacky (about 15 minutes)
then add your schabin or foil. In this demo, I am using Schabin. I bought mine from Kathy Carroll at www.fauxbykathy.com
4) Once you have covered your pumpkin, while leaving some holes or “holidays” use a dry chip brush to go over pumpkin and press down any loose leaves.
5) Now it’s time to “age” the copper. Using a combination of copper paint, and reactive paints, loosely scumble on paint with a chip brush, covering about 75% of pumpkin.
while the paint is still wet, pour the blue reactive and green reactive paints on top of pumpkin, letting it drip over sides, then spritz with the black reactor.
6) Let it dry and coat with the PermaSeal Coat to stop the reactivity.
7) I added some bronze carpet tacks which I purchased at Lowe’s
THAT’S IT!! Now go paint some pumpkins:)